Sunday, March 2, 2008

Tokyo Jazz Clubs

     This is almost just a personal note to myself, but I am trying to find websites of jazz clubs in Tokyo so that I can be prepared for them. Here's some stuff I found so far (and, presumably, I'll just be adding on to this post as I find more):


The Blue Note, Tokyo (priced generally at 8,400 yen): Charles Lloyd (w/Jason Moran and Eric Harland) 4/3-4/6; Ron Carter (w/Russell Malone and Mulgrew Miller) 6/5-6/10; The Mike Stern Band (w/Randy Brecker, Dave Weckl, and Chris Minh Doky) 6/16-6/21

Blues Alley in Tokyo has a slew of Japanese jazz players, which I'm really interested in. Hopefully I'll find someone who knows something about the players so that I won't blindly walk in to a smooth jazz concert : P

Ko-Ko in Shibuya has jam sessions Wednesdays at 7:30 and on some Sundays, so I'll DEFINITELY be heading there to play.

Shinagawa's Meguro Jam House has jam sessions on Saturdays and Sundays.

Mingus in Fukushima has live jazz and jam sessions on Saturdays

Okay, by this point it's getting ridiculous looking at ALL the clubs in Tokyo. There are TONS........ I'm going to have to find out what's good by word of mouth, I think....


Later!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey, this is awesome stuff. Good researching. I hope I'm invited along! We went to this jazz bar in Korea this winter and the atmosphere and live music were awesome, though the place was expensive. So can't wait to check out some of these places!